PROJECT 10073 RECORD CARD ATIC FIRM 329 (REV 26 SEP 52)
01. DATE: 20 Jul 59
02. LOCATION: SE of Che ju-Do Island
03. DATE-TIME GROUP: Local: Not given, GMT: 20/0425Z
04. TYPE OF OBSERVATION: Air-Visual
05. PHOTOS: No
06. SOURCE: Military
07. LENGTH OF OBSERVATION: Not given
08. NUMBER OF OBJECTS: 7 then 10
09. COURSE: Very fast then stationary
10. BRIEF SUMMARY OF SIGHTING: Two pilots sighted 7 vessels, line abreast, laying smoke. These vessels were traveling at high speed and appeared to one observer to be submarines. Observers returned to area later; vessels were gone, but spotters observed what appeared to be large orange objs [objects], about 10 in number underwater, line abreast, evenly spaced, about size of previous vessels.
11. COMMENTS: Smoke from flares prompted rpt [report]. Led to location of sonobuoy1 dye markers. Sighting clarified by CNO.
12. CONCLUSIONS: Sonobuoys & Smoke lights
This reference: Project Blue Book Record Card. With thanks to CUFOS for the copy.
Notes by CF:
1: Sonobuoy – Devices placed in the water by aircraft or ships for the purpose of the location of underwater objects. Based on sonar (sound navigation and range finding).
2: CNO is Chief of Naval Operations.
3: Smoke lights: Are dye markers on the water and dissipate in time with water movement.
UFOCAT PRN – 32345
UFOCAT URN – 32345 (USAF) Blue Book files counted in official statistics
Eastern Asia - Korea
Che ju-Do Island – Latitude 33-20 N, Longitude 126-30 E (D-M)
Reference: South Korea Gazetteer, prepared in the Division of Geography, Department of the Interior, Washington, D.C., USA, December 1966