Go Back Report # 389


The Glowing “Thing” in Moore Lake 

      Something that moves in a red aura of eerie silence and shows a taste for horned pout -- what could if be?

      At 3:00 A.M. on Monday morning, May 20, 1968, three young people whom Night Officer Victor Miller later described as "badly frightened" burst into the station house of the Littteton Police Department shouting about a "red glow on the water" and a "thing" that had scared them while they were fishing. It was a few minutes before they were calm enough to tell their story.

       Since that night most persons in Littleton, N.H., have come to believe that Mr. and Mrs. Richard Hansen and their friend Michael Stinchfield saw something at Moore Lake in the early hours of that spring morning, something that terrified them, but which no one, including the three witnesses themselves, can identify.

       It had been a quiet night, just like any other quiet night in the police department. At midnight officer Victor Miller had flipped his desk calendar from Sunday to Monday and gone back to the reports he was writing. Outside the main street was deserted and the houses were dark.

       Most of Littleton's 4000 residents work in the area's small factories, keep shops which serve the surrounding farm region, or cater to tourists motoring through this attractive little town on the Connecticut River. The nearest city of any size is Manchester, 100 miles south. Littleton is a typical New England village and as Miller worked on his reports he had no reason to expect anything but the prevailing quiet in which he would finish up his routine reports before going off duty.

       When the young people had caught their breath the tall dark young man identified himself to the officer as Richard Hansen, aged 20, of Lafayette Avenue, Littleton. He introduced his wife Cindy, a slender blond girl, and Michael Stinchfield, of 9 Bridge St., a fair-haired heavyset 19-year-old.

       After hearing their bizarre story Officer Miller decided to drive out to Moore Lake, just four miles west of the station house, with the young people and take a look for himself. As they rode out of Littleton in the patrol car the three excited witnesses gave Miller a more detailed account of what had happened.

       Earlier that evening, they said, they had been visiting together in the Hansen's apartment and eventually had decided to go fishing for horned pout, the local name for brown bullhead. Collecting their tackle they had driven out of Littleton on Route 18 and then, before reaching the big dam across the Connecticut River which backs up the waters for 11 miles to create the Samuel C. Moore Lake, they had turned left on Route 135. After a quarter of a mile they turned right onto the narrow road that twists through two miles of dense forest, passing only a few isolated farms, to a lakeside picnic and boat launching site which is maintained by the New England Electric Company.

       It was about one o'clock in the morning when they arrived and the lake was quiet and dark. There was no moon. They began casting into the water using silver-colored plugs as lures. By two o'clock they hadn't caught anything but they didn't mind because it was such a pleasant night to be on the lake. Shortly after 2:00 Stinchfield had pointed to something--a red glow--on the water about a quarter of a mile north of where they stood.

       From their wharf the glow was to their right and partly obscured by a rock ledge which extended out into the lake. They thought it was odd but forgot it after a few moments. However, they did begin to notice that the night had become queerly silent.

       "There wasn't a sound," Hansen recalled, "no frogs croaking, no animals moving around in the woods, no night noises at all."

       For another few minutes they continued to fish, casting the lures into the water and reeling them back while they listened to the gurgling sound the metal plugs made in the .strange stillness.

       Suddenly Mrs. Hansen exclaimed, "Look at that!" The red glow had moved from behind the rock ledge and now was in front of them, about 30 feet out from the wharf. At the same time they saw that the glow seemed to emanate from an object lying motionless in the water. They described this object as a whitish mound about two feet wide extending about a foot above the surface. Just above the waterline on the object were two round markings which looked like red glowing eyes. Behind the mound something larger seemed to loom but it was vague in the darkness.

       Describing the object to a reporter later Stinchfield said it resembled the head of an alligator submerged up to its eyes. But the Hansens say that because of the red glow and the darkness, it is impossible to say what it really looked like.

       Frightened by the thing Mrs. Hansen and Stinchfield left the wharf to stand on the shore, thus leaving Richard Hanson alone on the dock. On an impulse he cast his lure out towards the thing which up to then had been lying motionless and soundless. But now, as he began to reel in his lure, Mrs. Hansen and Stinchfield saw the object suddenly race toward the wharf and they heard a noise that Stinchfield described as sounding like the bubbling of an aqualung under water.

       "Dick, it's coming at you!" Mrs. Hansen screamed. Hansen threw down his rod and the three of them raced to their car. Without looking back they started the engine and drove down the road. Just before rounding a bend that would take them out of sight of the wharf Hansen stopped the car and they looked back. The area all around the wharf was glowing red. Now as curious as they were frightened, the two young men talked of driving back for another look but Mrs. Hansen demanded they drive back to town immediately.

       "For a week after that I couldn't look at a red traffic light or a neon sign at night without beginning to shake," she remembers.

       They drove straight to the police station.

When they returned to the wharf at 3:00 A.M. with Officer Miller the red glow was gone and Hansen's fishing rod was lying where he had dropped it. But all four of them noticed that the strange silence still lingered over the lake.

       After waiting for half an hour without seeing anything they drove back to Littleton where Officer Miller noted in his report of the incident that, "none of the three witnesses had been drinking and none of them gave any sign of being under the influence of drugs. They seemed genuinely frightened."

       The next morning when Mrs. Effie J. Willey, a reporter for the Littleton Courier, interviewed the three young people she agreed with Officer Miller that they definitely had seen something that frightened them, although she believes it was a deer swimming in the water.

       The Hansens and Stinchfield disagree with Mrs. Willey. "For one thing," Mrs. Hansen Points out, "she wasn't there."

       "And who ever saw a deer that glowed red, or had a two-foot-Wide head, or chased fishing lures?" Michael Stinchfield adds.

       Other explanations offered by townspeople, that they saw a flock of loons or a large turtle or a pike, also are rejected by the three witnesses.

       Chief of Police Stanley L. McIntyre, like the newspaper reporter, is skeptical of monsters in lakes. On the other hand he is puzzled because both Stinchfield and Hansen are big strong young men and experienced woodsmen. McIntyre has known both men for some time and he says, "They don't seem like the type to scare easily."

       Adding credibility to their report are some other odd things which have been reported as occurring around Moore Lake.

       When police went back to investigate further in daylight Chief McIntyre says they found horned pout strewn along the shore near the wharf. Only the heads, tails and spines of the fish remained. And since then other persons, such as John Smith, a shop teacher in Littleton's public school, who live near the lake have reported seeing red lights on the lake that night. Roger Caswell, who also lives nearby, reports noting the eerie stillness on the night of May 19-20.

       A New England Power Company worker at the Moore Dam Station says he has heard rumors of strange glowing red lights although he himself has seen nothing.

       As yet no one else has spotted the thing the Hansens and Stinchfield report but neither has anyone offered an adequate explanation for what they saw. Many persons who believe the witnesses did see something strange point out that whatever it was could have come up from the ocean.

       The Connecticut River, beginning in Quebec, flows down between Vermont and New Hampshire and then snakes through Massachusetts and Connecticut, emptying into the Atlantic Ocean at Old Saybrook. Moore Dam was built at Littleton in the early 1960's and forms a lake that is 11 miles long, a mile wide and very deep. Something could have swum up from the ocean before the dam was completed and then been trapped in the lake when the dam was closed.

       It would not be the first unknown creature to be spotted in New England's large bodies of fresh water.

       At Vermont's Lake Champlain, 50 miles due west of Moore Lake, people have been reporting a monster since 1871. In that year passengers on the steamer Curlew saw something near Barber's Point which they said was about 40 feet long, traveled fast throwing up a wake, had three coils and a large globular head which was dirty-white in color. The Lake Champlain monster was seen again in 1909 by a man fishing in a rowboat and in 1948 by two women fishing at Mallet's Bay. In 1954 a high school principal and three other men fishing in a boat between Alburg and. West Swanton spotted it and nearly every year since then others have reported encountering the monster.

       Whether the thing in Moore Lake is similar to Lake Champlain's mysterious monster no one can say. For now, intelligent observers can only agree with Littleton Police Chief Stanley McIntyre who, in expressing his official opinion on the strange experience of the three young people, says, "We feel that they saw something and that it frightened them. We don't know what it was."

This reference: Fate magazine, November 1968, pp. 32-36 “The Glowing “Thing” in Moore Lake by Richard Wolkomir   

UFOCAT PRN – 76816

UFOCAT URN – NONE    Fate magazine, November 1968, pp. 32-36 (Above)

UFOCAT URN – 076816 Invisible Residents by Ivan T. Sanderson, p. 228, 1970

UFOCAT URN – 119944 A Geo-Bibliography of Anomalies by George Eberhart, #0996, © 1980

UFOCAT URN – 141798 A Geo-Bibliography of Anomalies by George Eberhart, #0996, © 1980

UFOCAT URN – 166258 *U* UFO Computer Database by Larry Hatch, # XXXXXX © 2002     

North America – United States, New Hampshire

Moore Reservoir           Latitude 44-20 N, Longitude 71-53 W (D-M)

Littleton                       Latitude 44-18 N, Longitude 71-46 W

Reference: The National gazetteer of the United States of America, Prepared by the U.S. Geological Survey in cooperation with the U.S. Board on Geographic Names. Washington, D.C. 1990

UFO Location (UFOCAT) – Latitude 44.32 N, Longitude 71.75 W (D.%)          


Print this Page