Go Back Report # 1084

LL-??-1963     U.S.S. Franklin D. Roosevelt – Harry A. Jordan      
Late month (Sept., Oct., Nov., Dec.,)-day unknown-1963 

A Moment in (Recent) History

by Jon Baughman       

Note: Two paragraphs on Chet Grusinski’s sighting were removed here. They are covered under the date 10-??-1958, in a more comprehensive article.-CF-     

Letter from Jordan

       On August 3 Grusinski [See: 10-??-1958. -CF-] received a letter from Harry A. Jordan, who lives in Omaha, NE. Ironically, Jordan has also been looking for crew members from the FDR who might have witnessed the strange occurrences. He found Grusinski's name on a posting on a Canadian website.

       In his letter, Jordan said, “I detected a very large UFO during my mid-watch on radar off the coast of Sardinia in late 63. I provided the Senate Intelligence Committee with an affadavit (sic) detailing my experience. During this particular cruise there were several photographers on board to document the NATO fleet operations. They were present on board the night of my contact on radar. I was told in no uncertain terms to keep my mouth shut for 20 years."     

       The complete text of Harry Jordan's experience can be downloaded by going to:


Jordan on the FDR

       From 1961 through December 1965, Jordan served [in the] US Navy aboard the destroyer escort USS Laffey, destroyer USS Loeser, and [the] aircraft carrier USS Franklin D. Roosevelt CVA-42. He served in the operations intelligence division on all three ships to display, analyze, report, and record radar, radio and electronic emission data. For this he received extensive training at the Naval Station, Newport, RI.

       While on the FDR, he served two cruises in the Mediterranean between 1962 and 1964. After discharge from active duty, he worked as an instructor at [the] Jones Point Naval Reserve, Alexandria, VA on the use of navigational equipment particular to radar intelligence, thus was an expert in his field. He served as a recognition expert on detecting surface or air objects as far away as 300 miles. He trained both enlisted men as well as naval officers.         

His account, firsthand

       Here's Jordan's firsthand account of the UFO encounter, the text taken directly from his testimony before a US Senate UFO hearing in the summer of 1998. It is quoted word for word:

       Late one night while operating off the coast of Sardinia at approximately 0200 hrs. Zulu time, I was standing mid watch on a SPA-8 repeater and height-finding equipment. My IFF box was enabled and in the process of challenging an aerial contact approaching the ship from a bearing of 012 degrees relative to our course. The aerial contact was detected at 600 miles according to the calibration rings on my scope. I made several adjustments to the calibration settings because I didn't believe I detected such a contact at that distance. The aerial contact was at a height of 80,000 then dropped to 65,000 feet in about 20 seconds where the contact then hovered for about ten minutes.

       During this period the watch officer woke the division commander and informed him of our situation. U.S. Naval Task Forces operating in the Mediterranean in those days were being subjected to frequent flyovers by Russian Bear aircraft with electronic warfare capability. It was my job to stay alert for such a scenario. The division commander came into CIC, observed the radar returns, expedited his own ECM scan of the contact, and then informed the orderly standing watch at the captain’s stateroom. The captain was appraised (sic- apprised) of the situation, ordered a course change into the wind, and increased ship’s speed to launch aircraft. During this time I was continuing to observe the contact and watched the Phantom F4B's once they attained sufficient altitude. The Phantoms went to afterburners, vectoring to a course straight for the bogey on my scope. After a period of about 15 to 20 minutes, the F4B's were within 200 miles of the bogey due north of our course. They turned on their conical scan radar. The bogey disappeared from my scope. The pilots did not detect any contact on their scope, were turned by the Air Ops C.O., and headed back to the ship. The captain had kept the ship on a heading into the wind during this entire operation so aircraft could be launched or recovered at will.

       The Phantoms returned to the ship and were recovered. About five minutes after the recovery of the last aircraft and during the process of turning the ship back to our original course, the contact winked back on again! This time it closed from a distance of 600 miles from the ship to right above us in about 1 minute. The bogey was traveling around 3600 miles and (sic?-an) hour at an altitude of 30,000 feet. I never saw any heat signature. Someone in CIC yelled out, "dam (sic-damn) it, what the hell is that!" I couldn't determine who made the comment. Lookouts on the port and starboard lookout wings of the conning tower could not see anything above the ship with their binoculars. The situation was bizarre and watch personnel looked scared but calm.

       Watch logs are always kept particularly when a critical situation is under way. General Quarters practice drills are another matter, but this wasn't a practice drill. The captain did not call General Quarters. I recall vividly when it was first determined how unusual the situation had been. My division C.O. (Commander Gibson -USN) asked me what I had put in my log if anything. He said to me, "Jordan, this never happened." (I was reminded of that comment when I first saw the movie Red October.) I replied, "Yes, sir." I never mentioned anything to fellow sailors or anyone else until years after my Honorable Discharge from the Navy. I was Honorably Discharged from the Navy in December of 1967 at [the] Jones Point Naval Training Center in Alexandria, Virginia.

       On watch that night were a plotter on the DRT, one on the VG, myself on the radarscope, and the watch officer. It was my distinct impression from hearing the airmen aboard during chow time that they were confused about why the heck they would have such an unscheduled launch and not be told what had been going on that night. It was their duty to arm aircraft, etc. To me they had been obviously kept in the dark on this one operation. I never said anything to them about what happened that night. During active duty I stood lookout watch night and day. I logged well over 1000 hours operating radar equipment and standing watch during my active duty with the sixth fleet. What I experienced that night will never be forgotten. What I have experienced since discharge from active duty has became more fascinating as the years progressed. (End of quote).

More testimony

       But that isn't the end. Jordan had some other interesting comments for the senators at the hearing, again, quoted here:

       In 1985 I met Dr. John Kasher, a physics professor at the University of Nebraska in Omaha. He was a consultant at Lawrence Livermore Labs in California and presently a summer consultant on plasma physics at Huntsville for NASA. He is currently the State Director for the Mutual Unidentified Flying Object Network of Nebraska. Dr. Kasher and I have personally investigated over 50 cases related to UFO's. These cases involve people from age 5 to [the] 70's.

       We have videotapes of private interviews, physical trace cases, and lab reports. Some of these cases involved events which occurred on the ground simultaneous with STS-NASA missions. There are uncut, unenhanced videotapes produced by live-real-time NASA Select 6 camera shots taken aboard the space shuttle. At present, cameras aboard the shuttle are monitored. The video signals are delayed several seconds and sometimes minutes before being fed to public video feed networks. Immediately after the STS-48 mission UFO mission flap in which Dr. Kasher and I were involved, NASA began to delay the live feed. Their premise for altering the video coverage of each mission was that they didn't want the world privy to the medical condition of the astronauts. This is pure hogwash as never has the medical condition of the astronauts been public knowledge through video monitoring to public channels. We have a copy of the original NASA directive which went out from NASA to all ground facilities the day after [the] STS-48 UFO flap.

       The UFO's which currently fly on station when the shuttle is up are being fired upon by high performance aircraft using state of the art particle beam weapons. The very character of a particle beam [is that it] does not need an atmosphere to be seen. It imparts its own coherence upon the vacuum of space. We have videotapes of STS-missions as recent as STS-80 during the month of March 1997 wherein one can clearly see these beams coming up from the earth through the cloud cover below the space shuttle. What concerns us most here from our personal field experience is that out of all our private interviews with eyewitnesses, not one instance of a negative or sordid nature has been told to us. Virtually all close encounters on the ground have been very passive, bizarre, and extraordinary to ordinary people. Whatever "ordinary" means these days is another matter. It is with great concern for our fellow Americans and citizens of the world at large we question the reasons for why UFO's are being fired upon. What the federal government of the United States of America knows about UFO's is not being shared. I question the current status of this posture and reasoning behind it. These matters might well be beyond knowledge of the Senate, Congress, and perhaps even the President of the United States. If public hearings were held regarding these scenarios, there will be some red faces at the Pentagon and NASA regarding the issues of UFO's and the reality of their occupants. Many decent, law-abiding Americans have had real experiences and are prepared to come forward to share proofs. The truth needs to be brought forward without further hesitation. (End of quotes)

       In a sense, this testimony by Jordan speaks for itself. It needs no interpretation by this writer.

       In recent months, because I occasionally write about the UFO mystery, a few Broad Top readers have privately inquired of my colleagues, "Is he all right?"

       Don't be concerned about me.

       I am concerned about many of you.

       I worry about people who are too absorbed in the trivial, mundane, and uneventful events in their lives that they don't have time or make time to ponder on grander ideas and mysteries.

This reference: The Broad Top Bulletin, Saxton, PA. 16678, dated Tuesday, December 26, 2000

UFOCAT PRN – NONE           

Location – The Mediterranean or Tyrrhenian Sea.

Sardinia           Latitude 40-00-00 N, Longitude 009-00-00 E (D-M-S)

Reference: http://gnswww.nga.mil/geonames/GNS/index.jsp            

USS FDR pertinent history:   

       Franklin D. Roosevelt supported the fast transport USS Kleinsmith (APD 134) in the evacuation of 56 U.S. citizens and three foreign nationals from Nicara (sic – Nicaro), Cuba, 24 October 1958, as the Cuban revolution came to a climax.

       In late 1960, the Control Instrument Company installed the first production Fresnel Lens Optical Landing System (FLOLS) onboard Roosevelt. She recorded her 100,000th aircraft landing in March 1961. During a 1963 overhaul, six more 5 inch guns and all 22 remaining 3 inch guns were removed.

       While operating in the Eastern Mediterranean in the fall of 1964, Roosevelt lost a blade from one of her 20 ton propellers. She proceeded from Naples, Italy, to New York with the number one shaft locked. After replacing the propeller at Bayonne, New Jersey, Roosevelt returned to the Mediterranean to complete her cruise.

Reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Franklin_D._Roosevelt_(CV-42)           


Print this Page