Go Back Report # 104




       Shortly after one of my frequent radio appearances to discuss UFO's and other Fortean matters, I received a small package in the mail. Inside was a spool of recording tape which, when played, introduced me to a remarkable man--Neil Deane.

       Mr. Deane had heard my radio show and thought that perhaps I might be interested in exchanging ideas on a variety of unusual topics. I was, we did, and somewhere along about the fourth or fifth tape exchange, the story I am about to pass on to you came over the speaker of my set. It is a strange tale, one a number of years old (nearly 20, as I write this), and a single witness case at that. But there have been too many other "happenings "in the seas (and under the seas) of the world for this to be lightly dismissed.* Besides, Mr. Deane's background and training is considerably above average.

       So consider then Neil Deane's story, set down here as he told it to me.      

* For further information in this area, the reader should turn to Invisible Residents (World Publishing Company, Cleveland, Ohio, 1970) by Ivan T. Sanderson.       

       My dear George. You asked about the sea encounter mentioned on my last tape . . . well, here it is.

       I had contracted to sail a small boat from Nassau, in the Bahamas, up to Marblehead, on the Massachusetts Bay, northerly of Boston. We cleared the Paradise Island’s Channel1 in late September of 1954; I say "we" because I had spent a week learning all the idiosyncrasies of my little boat and a boat, properly loved and properly handled, becomes a living thing. So "we" were leaving the Paradise Island channel fairly late in the evening with the stars shining. We were too far north to see the full light of the Southern Cross and yet so far south that my native New England constellations did not look to be in the right locations.

       My little boat was a yawl, built of dark natural finish Hondura[n] mahogany with decks spun out of some wood with which I was not familiar, infinitely smooth to the bare feet and yet without apparent finish, but able to shed water like the proverbial duck's back.

       I went forward, with an arm about the bobstay, listening to the water bubble under her forefoot, and looked particularly at the great coil of nylon, 5/8th anchor cable, laid down in a big oval on her forward deck, one end spliced into the anchor ring with my own hands, the other end made fast to the mooring bit. I mention this coil of nylon because it is important to the story.

       Some morning, I’ve forgotten which one because I have long since lost the log book, I was rudely awakened in that dark, cold hour before dawn, realizing that my forward progress had stopped and that I was taking water. Great sheets of water flung over her forward deck, screaming down the sides of her cockpit, foaming, some of it coming aboard. So in under shorts and barefoot, and the rest of me bare, I came suddenly awake, went into the cockpit and discovered she was dead on course, sails drawing. But she was not making any progress, while over her forward deck was considerable depth of solid water and a great thrashing up ahead.

       Looking in the direction of the thrashing, I perceived a great glow, like a big school of herring coming near the surface and disturbing luminous bacteria . . .  only it was not the right color. It was more deeply orange. In color it was like the annelids which are common off Bermuda in certain seasons, but this was one continuous glow and not a collection of nickel-sized blobs of light. The glow seemed to come from a plateau of water which was causing solid water to flow over my decks, hence impeding my forward progress.

       So, thinking I had gone ashore, even though nothing was grating under the keel, I charged up her auxiliary engine, slapped in reverse gear, and backed away. In a few yards astern I was in dead calm water, so I took in her sails and when I was squared away with power plant running nicely, I put her into forward gear and went back towards this plateau of glowing water and light.

       And then I saw it! A ghost ship, bearing down upon me! It must have been a windjammer, under 65 feet, because she had only port and starboard lights. And then I realized that she was not bearing down upon me, but going away because her lights were in the same relative location as mine. But this was wrong because lights, by international agreement, are arranged so that they are visible from dead ahead to two points aft of beam and therefore cannot be seen from dead astern! But these were visible. They were for all the world like the aircraft lights of that day. No dancing trailing edge lights, no tail lights, no blinking lights, just fixed lights visible 180° around the horizon and therefore visible from dead astern.

       On seeing this "windjammer" apparently bearing down on me, l had gone into reverse gear again, backing off once more into calm water . . . perhaps a hundred yards from the disturbance. Even as I realized my "windjammer" was something else, the splashing and sloshing of water stopped, and this vessel, or whatever it was, rose out of the water and the glow surrounding it subsided so that her running lights were much more highly visible. She had lifted off the water and was heading towards the now dimly visible continent of North America in a long, upward slant and going at what seemed to be a tremendous speed.

       Now I know that between her running lights was a solid opaque object about twice the length of my little boat, perhaps 60 or 70 feet, I can't be sure. But I was only about 300, or at most 400, feet away, quite near, and I know there was some solid object between the lights because while the continent of North America could be dimly seen, the horizon could not be seen between the lights but could be seen above them and below them. So the lights were attached to some opaque object, now travelling away at about a 45° climb and at a tremendous speed, and by now I reckoned it over land and it was fast disappearing from sight. By the time I got myself calmed down* so I could operate with some intelligence, I filled in the log book and with engine running went back to what proved to be the edge of the Gulf Stream. And there in perfectly calm water were football-sized patches of foam as though some large object had churned up the water2, as indeed it had. So what I saw was not only an Unidentified Flying Object, but a swimming object, because certainly nothing but nothing in this vale of tears comes up out of the water and goes flying off like an airplane...nothing earthly, that is.

*Dean estimates that from the time he came awake, with water showering upon him, until the "object" had flown out of sight, about 15 minutes had elapsed. He states it took him but a few seconds to get on deck once awakened.

       I will not bother you with the details of a 2,000 mile journey in an open boat but in due time, and in some dirty weather, I made it to New England. Passing through the Cape Cod Canal, I headed, running under power because of the weather, into Marblehead and there, waiting on the dock, was the aging but still curvaceous titan-haired British lady who owned the boat. She took one look at me and the boat and said: "Ran into some dirty weather?" I said, "Yes, mam (sic – Ma’am)."

       Then she went below, picked up the logbook, and when she came back on the dock again, she was mumbling in an incoherent fashion, and before long we were mumbling at each other.

       She'd read the log, looked over the boat, read the log, and tried to say something. I don't know which one of us noticed it first, but that coil of nylon was melted into a useless mass. Not the coils in contact with the deck, nor the top coils, but the whole center selecton (sic) of it was melted and useless.

       I left her with the boat and took a consulting engineering job in the Boston area, at which time I spent a good many hours fairly close to the several Boston hoaxes about flying saucers. I never saw the lady or the boat again--I heard she shipped it to her native England and shortly thereafter passed away. What happened to the boat or the logbook I do not know.

       Well, that's the story . . . I was not observing some lights at a great distance . . . I was within a few hundred feet of a solid object with lights like those on boats of that day . . .  except you could see them from dead astern which is not normal practice. Nor is it normal practice for boats to come up out of the ocean and fly away.

       There is a little postscript to my story. During the next several years I did consulting work in several areas --Boston, Cincinnati, the Pacific Northwest--and I had the time and inclination to make a few tests with an oscillator. I used a T.N.T. oscillator using a pair of big vacuum tubes--HF-300's--which would operate very nicely at about 12 megahertz. Using two of them would kick out close to 2,000 watts and I know that a pair of condenser plates connected to a tank coil in the plate circuit would bake a potato in three-four minutes. Also, with short sections of nylon rope--say about three-four inches--it would melt the center section of them and leave the outside intact. At different frequencies this oscillator would have different effects on different materials.

       That's what happened--I know no more about it; but I did see something that not only could apparently live satisfactorily under the water and on the water, but could take off and fly like an airplane. This defies comprehension and is beyond anything we have now--let alone what we had in those days.

       I've never told this story before and while I don't profess to have total recall, the details as I have recounted them are correct. I remain firmly convinced that on that September morning, at the edge of the Gulf Stream off the Georgia coast, that I not only was in the presence of some tremendous force but was under the protection of some great and benign intelligence.


       So there you have it--an Unidentified Submersible/Flying Object seen by only one person, but that one a trained and competent observer. Such “official” explanations as swamp gas, weather balloons, or sun dogs or other meteorological phenomena not likely to be recognized by untrained laymen clearly seemed ruled out here.

       A suggestion that Mr. Deane witnessed a Polaris missile launched by a submerged submarine fails on two main counts: Mr. Deane made his observation in late September 1954; the Polaris program was not authorized until January 1957 with the first underwater launch taking place in April 1960. Secondly, Mr. Deane's observation is inconsistent with such a launching in at least four ways. Such a missile: 1) makes a horrendous noise when fired, 2) leaves an extremely long and fiery exhaust, 3) pops up out of the water and is gone almost instantly with none of the gradual up-swelling of water Mr. Dean has described, and 4) does not carry port and starboard running lights. It should also be noted that missiles are not normally launched towards populated coastal areas.

       Personally, I am of the opinion that Mr. Deane has told it like it was--persons with contrary views, or corroborative evidence, are invited to write us, care of Beyond Reality.                                    

Original reference: Beyond Reality, #18, January 1976, "Encounter in the Gulf Stream," by Neil Deane as Told to George Earley         

Note #1: I was unable to find Paradise Island Channel until my partner in crime (who wishes to remain unknown), found that Paradise Island was originally called “Hog Island.” However, Nassau (on New Providence Island) faces Paradise Island and there is a channel between the two islands, which is so small that a bridge was built between the two. This is what the witness calls Paradise Island Channel.           

Note #2: This foam was also a trademark of the famous “Shag Harbour” case in 1967.-CF- 


UFOCAT URN – NONE   Beyond Reality, #18, January 1976, “Encounter in the Gulf Stream”

                                        by Neil Deane As Told to George Earley

UFOCAT URN – NONE   Official UFO Magazine, May 1977, Vol. 2, No. 3, “Mysteries of the Deep”

                                        by Lucius Farish and Dale Titler, pp. 54-55 

Central America – Bahamas

Paradise Island                                    Latitude 25-05-00 N, Longitude 77-20-00 W (D-M-S)

Nassau                                                Latitude 25-05-00 N, Longitude 77-21-00 W

Reference: http://gnswww.nga.mil/geonames/GNS/index.jsp

New Providence Island                        Latitude 25-01-09 N, Longitude 77-23-43 W


North America – United States, Massachusetts

Marblehead                                          Latitude 42-30-00 N, Longitude 70-51-28 W (D-M-S)

Massachusetts Bay                              Latitude 42-22-30 N, Longitude 70-44-58 W

Cape Cod Canal                                   Latitude 41-46-05 N, Longitude 70-33-58 W

Reference: http://geonames.usgs.gov/pls/gnispublic.


Print this Page